Day 2: Classroom Time

Sabrina Ferguson – September 8th, 2022

My field experience classroom has been great so far. I was able to work with the students as they had some free time to explore the many STEM boxes in their classroom. My MT spoke with me to go over the different procedures/assignments that she does day to day with the students. One of the things that she spoke about the caught my eye was how she does “LEGO UP” with her students which consist of each student starting off with a green LEGO on their desk and when they come into the classroom in the morning they receive a blue LEGO for coming to school ready to learn. Throughout the day if the MT see’s that a student is following directions, doing their in class assignments, etc she will tell that student to “LEGO UP” when students have all the LEGOS on their desk they will be able to get a LEGO person. At the end of the day however many LEGOS the student has the teacher transfers those into points for the students and I think this is a great reward system to keep the students motivated to learn and stay on task. Some things that I hope to learn from my MT this semester is new ways to keep students on task and motivated throughout the year. I’m glad to be involved with this classroom because I feel the students are open to learning new things and that they come in ready and prepared to take on the day. The MT mentioned she wanted to begin doing centers for the students which is something I’m looking forward to and working with the students in small groups to see where they are at academically.

Posted September 12, 2022 by educator21 in category School Days